3/29/11

Where I Am From

I am from computers,
from HP and Dell.
I am from the wall-sized windows;
big, transparent,
gazing at the other buildings surrounding it.
I am from pizza and eyeglasses,
from Savina, Rajan, and Ashiana.
I am from the educated ones
and the well-behaved ones,
from “One thing at a time”
and “You have to work for it”.
I am from the era of meditation;
staying still, with nothing in mind.
I am from a cluster of Indians,
from eating vegetarian on Mondays,
from going to the temple every Friday.
From wearing traditional clothing in weddings,
and from worshipping copious amounts of gods/goddesses.
I am from my dad’s side of the family,
from eating pasta and fish.
From when dad won fourth place in the lottery,
from the old family pictures hidden in the closet;
yet to be recognized again.
I am from those moments.
A trunk with future carvings,
the roots that holds the family tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment