9/7/10

Memoir Mondays: Injections

     I used to think that injections were for when your parents got angry and you got and injection as a punishment. Unfortunately, when I was younger, it would be a coincidence for me to get my parents angry and have an appointment for a blood test or a vaccine the next day or week. I started to realize this when I started to trouble my parents less and less as I grew up. I started to realize that this wasn’t true when I was about 5 or 6 years-old.
     It all happened when I was at home. I was being a good boy, bringing in good grades, behaving good, etc. Then, out nowhere, my mom would tell me that I had a doctor’s appointment (I was sick then). The next day, while we were in the car, I would ask my mom if I had behaved good or bad. She would tell me that I was a good boy and the last time I behaved badly was about 2 months ago….Then I would think that it was a new record and that she’s keeping track of all the things I did bad and, let’s just say, “returned the favor” to her for making her angry….

Finally, I asked her why she was giving me the injections and she told me the truth. The truth about getting an injection wasn’t really because I was behaving badly; but because it was necessary for my health. That day taught me that I didn’t get injections because of my bad behavior, but for my health and for helping me to prevent from getting sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment